Previous posts in this discussion:
PostTopics Other than SCW: Five Suggestions (John Eipper, USA, 04/10/15 2:09 am)
Yesterday (9 April) saw a WAIS first: we batted .1000 on the Spanish Civil War. No complaint from me, but there are countless other topics worthy of attention. Do any of these inspire the membership?
1. The cyberattack on France's TV5Monde, presumably the work of IS/Daesh, which paralyzed the network. (Just last week I noted the vulnerability of the WAIS network, and suggested Pigeon Mail as an alternative.)
2. The nuclear accord with Iran. President Rouhani says there will be no deal that does not include a lifting of sanctions on the first day.
3. Chicago's mayor Rahm Emanuel won re-election in a run-off campaign. (This one is especially for David Duggan.)
4. As expected, Kentucky Senator Rand Paul declared his candidacy for the US Presidency. He should bring something new to the Republican primaries: a Libertarian, neo-isolationist discourse. Is Paul a fringer like his dad or a legitimate contender? I'm going to say the latter, although much of this depends on Jeb Bush's decision.
5. Tweedy Pweedy (with gratitude to David Pike).
As Prof. Hilton always said, your comments are welcome. Pax et lux.
Another Civil War: An Anniversary
(Robert Gibbs, USA
04/10/15 6:19 PM)
While we're on the topic of events other than the Spanish Civil War, remember that yesterday (April 9th) was the 150th anniversary of Lee's surrender to Grant at Appomattox.
JE comments: It doesn't seem that long ago that we noted the 150th anniversary of Fort Sumter--but observing anniversaries is not the same as four years of war:
Here are some eyewitness illustrations from Appomattox: